When it comes to your Windows 7 computer it is important to protect yourself from viruses and other threats that can harm your computer and its operating system. This isn’t difficult if two requirements are met; you are diligent and you have some idea what to look for. Below is a list, all though not all inclusive, substantial in creating an environment free of computer viruses.
- First things first, when you purchase a new computer it is important that you should have antivirus software installed correctly. Keeping the antivirus software up to date will allow your computer to keep defending off viruses that will try to penetrate your email, operating system and computer files. New viruses will continue to appear every day. Set your computer up so that it is keeping your antivirus updating automatically everyday to prevent even the newest of viruses from getting into your system.
- One of the most common ways that people end up with an infected computer is through email attachments. Viruses are easily attached to email messages. As soon as the email is opened the virus will start to spread throughout your computer. When it comes to email attachments the rule of thumb is to use caution and only open attachments that you are expecting. Emails can come from friends with attachments that you weren’t expecting. Before opening the attachment, contact the sender to see if they actually sent something that you need to see.
- Not only is important that you keep your antivirus protection up to date it is also significant that your Microsoft operating system is updated regularly as well. Microsoft will update your Windows OS regularly with updated security releases. It is imperative that you allow Windows security by turning on the automatic updating option and that it runs regularly.
- You can also add on a Windows firewall that will keep you alerted to any activity that is suspicious. If a virus, worm or hacker attempts to infiltrate your system it will help block it. If a virus, worm or hacker does get in a firewall should help protect the operating system from having harmful programs from being downloaded.
- Turn on your browsers privacy settings. This will prevent websites from using your private browsing information and prevent fraud and theft of identify.
- Personal computer owners should also use a pop-up blocker along with their browser protection. Turning off pop-up windows will help to create safer browsing as although pop-ups are usually advertisements some of them can be wicked and filled with code that is not safe. Pop-up blockers eliminate the windows from appearing all together.
These steps will all help to eliminate the possibility of a computer infection. Even if you apply each of these tips there is still a chance that a virus will slip through and your computer will become infected. If you suspect that a computer virus has infected your PC you can take the machine into any local computer repair store and they will run scans to see if the computer is actually infected. If it is they will remove the virus from the computer and update your virus protection and get Window updates running regularly.
Computers Plus Service provides a wide range of valuable services for residential computer repair as well as a variety of commercial computer services. You can find out more about the services offered by CPS at http://www.cpsmi.com.